Rome and Florence
Both cities claimed antiquity. Florence was the birthplace of humanism, and the fastest to erect the neoclassical edifices and impossible bronzes which made it feel like a new Rome. Yet how could Florence be a new Rome when Rome was only a few days’ rides away? Renaissance Rome profited from humanism, gaining international esteem, and controlling the lion’s share of Italian antiquities. Even Petrarch had confirmed the supremacy of the eternal city by choosing to be crowned poet laureate in Rome.
The Vatican’s wealth and prestige made it easy for Rome to hire away the best of Florence’s artists and scholars—or demand their services with threats if need be—so Rome grew grander and more classical with every Florentine innovation.
Florentines tried many strategies to advance their city’s status as a classical capital, presenting Florence as a new Athens, supreme in culture over Rome, or as a new Roman republic, a truer successor to antiquity than the papal monarchy. When you think about Florence, the main things that come to mind are art, architecture and museums. Florence may not be big as Rome, but it has plenty of important museums and art galleries that are world-famous and deserve to be visited, such as the Uffizi Gallery and Accademia. Not to mention all the churches and buildings around the city that host masterpieces by the greatest artists, such as Michelangelo and Donatello just to name a few.
- AM – Arrive at Fiumicino International Airport in Rome.
- Collect your luggage and move through immigration.
- Meet your local Tour Manager who will remain with you throughout the tour.
- PM – Following lunch on your own you will enjoy a Walking Tour of Ancient Rome with a local guide.
- Highlights of the tour include the Colosseum (inside visit at supplement see below*, Arch of Titus, Roman Forum, Trojan’s Column, and the Victor Emmanuel II National Monument on Piazza Venezia.
- Board coach and transfer to your hotel for check-in.
EVE – Have dinner on your own. Overnight in Rome.
- AM – Breakfast at your hotel.
- Board your private coach and transfer to the Vatican City for a guided visit of the Vatican Museums including the St. Peter’s Basilica, Sistine Chapel, and
- The wonderful frescoes of Michelangelo (closed on Sundays for groups).
- PM – The following lunch on your own you will enjoy an orientation tour with your Tour Manager.
- Visit Rome’s most beautiful square, Piazza Navona. Continue with a visit to the Pantheon.
- Then, see the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.
- EVE – Have dinner on your own. Overnight in Rome.
- AM – Have breakfast at your hotel. Check out and board coach to Siena. Board coach and travel to Siena (lunch en route).
- PM – Upon arrival, you will enjoy a Guided Walking tour of Sienna with local guides.
- Siena, a Tuscan medieval walled city that developed on three hills is a protected Unesco World Heritage Site.
- The unique Gothic appearance of Siena in combination with the location on three hills, and maybe the grandest squares of Europe, Piazza del Campo (also known for the Palio horse race) makes it a Tuscan highlight not to be missed.
- Highlights of the tour include Siena Cathedral (Duomo), Palazzo Salimbeni, and the Piazza del Campo, the shell-shaped town square, with the Palazzo Pubblico and its tall Torre del Mangia tower.
- Late afternoon you will transfer to Florence and check-in at your hotel.
EVE – Have dinner on your own and overnight in Florence.
- AM – Have breakfast at your hotel.
- Enjoy a Walking Tour of Florence with a local guide. Florence (Firenze) is packed with extraordinary art and architecture masterpieces at every turn.
- The urban fabric of this small city, on the banks of the Arno river in northeastern Tuscany, has hardly changed since the Renaissance and its narrow cobbled streets are a feast of elegant 15th- and 16th-century palazzi (palaces), medieval candle-lit chapels, fresco-decorated churches, marble basilicas, and world-class art museums.
- Unsurprisingly, the entire city center is a Unesco World Heritage Site. Highlights of this tour include Florence’s Duomo (Cathedral), Palazzo degli Uffizi, Basilica di Santa Croce, Palazzo Pitti, Piazza della Signoria, Loggia dei Lanzo, Fontana di Nettuno (fountain) and Florence’s world famous 14th century bridge, the Ponte Vecchio.
- End the tour with a visit to the Galleria Accademia where you can admire the statue of David by Michelangelo.
- PM Lunch own. Free time in Florence.
- EVE – Dinner on its own and overnight in Florence.
Note: Supplement for performance at the Santo Stefano al Ponte, see below
- AM – Breakfast at your hotel.
- This morning transfer to Pisa for some free time.
- You might want to visit the Leaning Tower and/or visit the Duomo and Baptistery (no guide/no admissions included).
- Alternatively visit of Lucca or San Gimignano (instead of Pisa).
- PM – Have lunch on your own. The remainder of the day is at leisure for souvenir shopping or Museum Visits.
- 0EVE – Dinner on own ad overnight Florence.
- AM – Morning check out and departure to Assisi. Walking Tour of Assisi with local guide.
- Highlights of this tour include Basilica di San Francesco (St Francis of Assisi), Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli (most sacred place for Franciscans), Basilica di Santa Chiara (St Clare), Cattedrale di San Rufino (13th century church), Piazza del Comune with Roman temple Tempio di Minerva and Rocca Maggiore (14th century fortress).
- PM – Lunch on its own in Assisi. The afternoon continues to the Rome airport area for check-in.
- EVE – Festive Farewell dinner with music and overnight Rome airport area.
Why Book Your Group Tour with American Journeys Intl
EXTRA TRAVEL BONUSES
We look forward to accommodating your group and making sure you have a memorable trip of a lifetime. As your group grows we can offer various benefits from discounts, deals.
All of our tours include a tour manager to make sure every detail is perfect. Plus, professional tour guides to lead you through each city
All of our packages include two meals a day, all attractions, hotel accommodations, transportation, and all taxes, tips, and service charges, so you do not have to worry about anything.